Star Trek

Okay. I guess it's alright to like things besides anime. Maybe. You might get kicked off the forum. Maybe

Star Trek

Postby Gina » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:16 pm

I'm a Trekkie. I claim ultimate nerd status
Lend me your wings, bird. I'll spread them and fly on the thermals
Gina
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Star Trek

Postby Chrystal » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:03 pm

Gina wrote:I'm a Trekkie. I claim ultimate nerd status

You are nerd perfection.

I've watched an episode or two out of pure fascination and horror. With the new one...? Idk if it was just a movie or a whole new series, but the guy playing Spock, I just can't see past his role from Heroes as the creepy killer guy. All I can see is evil. Pure evil.
ですですです
http://vgcats.com
Chrystal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Gina » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:55 am

Chrystal wrote:You are nerd perfection.

I've watched an episode or two out of pure fascination and horror. With the new one...? Idk if it was just a movie or a whole new series, but the guy playing Spock, I just can't see past his role from Heroes as the creepy killer guy. All I can see is evil. Pure evil.

I like the new movie, but it's sort of in a different league than the series. It's not quite Star Trekky enough for me, and I couldn't see past Sylar/Spock either. The movie was based on Star Trek The Original Series, and it really deviated from the storyline. The characters were pretty similar except Spock and the Romulans were completely different from all ST series. I still really liked the movie as a movie, and I liked the characters and some of the ST jokes, but it definitely wasn't true Star Trek. I never really watched TOS, anyway.

TNG, DS9, and Voyager on the other hand are all amazing.
Gina
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Alex » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:58 pm

Can't say I've ever watched anything Star Trek related before. I've seen it and know what it looks like of course, but I suppose I somehow grew up more around Star Wars. I don't know how different it is from that, but if it's similar, I'm sure I'd love Star Trek too.

I'd probably want to watch whatever the original is first (the series I'm guessing?) so that I can compare whatever the original is to the movies, remakes, etc. Originals usually incorporate the best ideas and storyline I guess, while remakes and the like just usually feature better graphics, sound, sequel to storylines, etc. *shrug*

I'm sure I'd be all for it though if I liked it.
"Always be yourself, because the people that matter don't mind; and the people that mind don't matter."
Alex

Postby Gina » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:32 am

Alex wrote:Can't say I've ever watched anything Star Trek related before. I've seen it and know what it looks like of course, but I suppose I somehow grew up more around Star Wars. I don't know how different it is from that, but if it's similar, I'm sure I'd love Star Trek too.

I'd probably want to watch whatever the original is first (the series I'm guessing?) so that I can compare whatever the original is to the movies, remakes, etc. Originals usually incorporate the best ideas and storyline I guess, while remakes and the like just usually feature better graphics, sound, sequel to storylines, etc. *shrug*

I'm sure I'd be all for it though if I liked it.

It's not very similar to Star Wars other than it takes place in space. And I would say in this case the original series does not have the best ideas and storyline, because it was made in the sixties and sci fi was very, very, cheesy in those days. The original series had some great morals, like one of the first white/black kisses ever shown on television, however it was still quite antiquated in terms of women's rights and equality (though I suppose very progressive for its time).
Gina
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Alex » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:01 pm

Ah, that makes sense. I suppose it's just like the old Superman series versus the newer movies. The black & white series had some nice morals, but was cheesy as well, whereas the new movies that have been out now are a lot more... cinematic? More up-to-date with how we view superheroes, situations, etc. lol

But uh, which would you recommend me seeing for the first time?
"Always be yourself, because the people that matter don't mind; and the people that mind don't matter."
Alex

Postby Gina » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:52 pm

Alex wrote:Ah, that makes sense. I suppose it's just like the old Superman series versus the newer movies. The black & white series had some nice morals, but was cheesy as well, whereas the new movies that have been out now are a lot more... cinematic? More up-to-date with how we view superheroes, situations, etc. lol

But uh, which would you recommend me seeing for the first time?

The Next Generation is still pretty cheesy, but I'd start there. Patrick Stewart (Professor X from X-Men, if you didn't know) plays the captain. It's on Netflix if you have it, so is Voyager. You can really start with any of them. I'm currently rewatching Voyager.
Gina
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Alex » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:05 am

Dunno' who that is, but then again, I'm deprived. lol >.>;
I don't have Netflix, but I'm sure I can find it at a Blockbuster or something of that sort.
Are they not needed to be watched in some kind of order to understand the storyline sequences properly? Or is it I guess like the Inu movies where it's all different entirely?

Thanks for the help!
Alex

Postby Chrystal » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:21 pm

Alex wrote:Dunno' who that is, but then again, I'm deprived. lol >.>;

It's this dude: http://www.firstcomicsnews.com/wp-conte ... tewart.jpg

Never seen X-men? Shamessssssss on you if not.
ですですです
http://vgcats.com
Chrystal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Gina » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:29 pm

Chrystal wrote:
Alex wrote:Dunno' who that is, but then again, I'm deprived. lol >.>;

It's this dude: http://www.firstcomicsnews.com/wp-conte ... tewart.jpg

Never seen X-men? Shamessssssss on you if not.

Lol shame indeed. Isn't it a nerd requirement to see all the superhero movies?
Gina
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Other Interests