Oh Life. How you mock me.

I think my ramblings usually turn into rants. And vice versa. Misery loves company, folks!

Re: Oh Life. How you mock me.

Postby Chrystal » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:52 pm

Alex wrote:Would you care if you found something like that again where you had to collaborate with someone else, or would you prefer to just do it all yourself (both coding and layout design?)

My aunt has actually been suggesting to me that I can sort of advertise myself on like, Craigslist or whatnot to earn some extra cash, but I really don't know if I'd want to do that. I feel like it's a good idea maybe, but I just don't know if I'd be willing to deal with people in the regards of what they want, if they're picky and want me to change something I've worked hard on, etc., etc. I don't know if you have any specific ground-rules when you work for someone, or if they call all the shots since they pay you. *shrug*

I just don't want it to make me feel like coding or layout design is any less fun in the end I suppose if I have to deal with drama. lol

I really didn't collaborate on the design or anything with him. I only had him just place in the old pages in the new design. "We" won an award for it, but most people assumed it was mostly his work since he was the webmaster.

When you work for a client its a bit of a give and take. It's their money, so in the end they will tell you what they like and what they don't want. Even if it makes the design ugly, you'd do it for them. Best thing to do when designing is to create several different good comp ideas and present it to them. Pointing out the reason behind the design. Long as they are aware what your doing throughout the whole process, and they get their say, it should go okay. Some people are probably difficult, but that's how it is with any job. You just do your best and try to get it done to make them happy.
ですですです
http://vgcats.com
Chrystal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Alex » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:58 pm

Chrystal wrote:I really didn't collaborate on the design or anything with him. I only had him just place in the old pages in the new design. "We" won an award for it, but most people assumed it was mostly his work since he was the webmaster.

That sort of sucks... graphic design is just as important as web design. You should've gotten credit. ;^;

Chrystal wrote:When you work for a client its a bit of a give and take. It's their money, so in the end they will tell you what they like and what they don't want. Even if it makes the design ugly, you'd do it for them. Best thing to do when designing is to create several different good comp ideas and present it to them. Pointing out the reason behind the design. Long as they are aware what your doing throughout the whole process, and they get their say, it should go okay. Some people are probably difficult, but that's how it is with any job. You just do your best and try to get it done to make them happy.

Yeah, I guess that's a reasonable way to look at it.

To be honest though, I don't really know if I'm still THAT good enough to design layouts for others. I mean, I have a good understanding of how layouts ought to look for basic necessities and design elements, but I guess I'm not that spectacular still. *shrug*

Coding is more my thing anyhow. =x
"Always be yourself, because the people that matter don't mind; and the people that mind don't matter."
Alex

Postby Chrystal » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:33 pm

Alex wrote:Yeah, I guess that's a reasonable way to look at it.

To be honest though, I don't really know if I'm still THAT good enough to design layouts for others. I mean, I have a good understanding of how layouts ought to look for basic necessities and design elements, but I guess I'm not that spectacular still. *shrug*

Coding is more my thing anyhow. =x

It's something you have to keep practicing. Going to school like I do, you can take classes and get important feedback on your work. It's the best way to improve is getting honest critique.

I'm sure there's webdesign forums out there with people who would be happy to give suggestions on old and new work.

I had a few assignments mostly taking a current website and redesigning it to make it even better. It's good practice.
ですですです
http://vgcats.com
Chrystal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Alex » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:31 pm

I don't know for sure whenever I finally go to college if I'll take web design or graphic design classes, but I may go in that direction as a minor perhaps. So I guess in that regard, I might have a better shot just asking a specific forum feedback thing where people can critique your work.

I think overall I'm not bad—I feel like I've definately come a long way, but there's always room for improvement. I'm not nearly as good as you are in graphics and layout design. ^_~
"Always be yourself, because the people that matter don't mind; and the people that mind don't matter."
Alex

Previous

Return to Ramblings and Rants