testing video embeddings

I'm too lazy to think of more topics. Don't look at me that way.

testing video embeddings

Postby Chrystal » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:10 pm

ですですです
http://vgcats.com
Chrystal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: testing video embeddings

Postby Chrystal » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:13 pm

^^ With video ness. I was thinking I could embed any random clips I make and place it in a "registered users only" forum. Then people can comment about it and what not.

Viz Media isn't as strict as some other companies about copyright infringements. Sooooo. I figure if I make it a forum-only- that's hidden away unless you register... that would be alright.

Good idea..I think?

::edit::

Doing some more testing, I can upload clips on my youtube account and make them unlisted/unsearchable.

-nodding in approval- :88:
ですですです
Chrystal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Alex » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:23 am

Chrystal wrote:^^ With video ness. I was thinking I could embed any random clips I make and place it in a "registered users only" forum. Then people can comment about it and what not.

Viz Media isn't as strict as some other companies about copyright infringements. Sooooo. I figure if I make it a forum-only- that's hidden away unless you register... that would be alright.

Good idea..I think?

::edit::

Doing some more testing, I can upload clips on my youtube account and make them unlisted/unsearchable.

-nodding in approval- :88:
You could also do both, if you wanted to. This way, whomever doesn't search your YouTube or go to it via your site and comes to the forum can also watch it. It'd just mean more feedback that way I guess. *shrug*

Stupid question though: what was wrong with you just simply putting them on your actual site? Did someone complain to you through your contact form? If you're getting too much spam with comments for them there, you can always do away with the comments there and just have them register to comment here if they want to badly enough.
"Always be yourself, because the people that matter don't mind; and the people that mind don't matter."
Alex

Postby Chrystal » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:21 am

Alex wrote:You could also do both, if you wanted to. This way, whomever doesn't search your YouTube or go to it via your site and comes to the forum can also watch it. It'd just mean more feedback that way I guess. *shrug*

Stupid question though: what was wrong with you just simply putting them on your actual site? Did someone complain to you through your contact form? If you're getting too much spam with comments for them there, you can always do away with the comments there and just have them register to comment here if they want to badly enough.

I can't let the clip be search-able via youtube. It will get taken down or ban my account. So only way I can show it is really embedding it. It would be nice not having to do that to create more awareness of the site, but it's too risky.

If it put the clips up in my site itself, I'd be quick to getting in trouble possibly. I'm not really sure if I have the right to even make screencaptures (I want to say it could fall under fair-use..but not sure...) and video's are always shaky territory. AMVs get taken down a lot on Youtube because technically it is copyrighted material. Either from the songs or they will claim the footage. Even under the umbrella of creative-commons. It depends on the company to prosecute or not. Funimation apparently is pretty serious about taking stuff like that down.

I do remember hearing something like... however many seconds of footage is okay to use, but I'm unsure of how long/if that's true.

I could do it until I got a cease and desist notice, but since I'd like to try to avoid that as much as possible, Forum seems like the best bet. Viewable only if you're registered seems the best to me. I'd doubt any reps from Viz would register just to look at the forum. They prob go through sites though. I'd make the whole forum unsearchable as well.
ですですです
Chrystal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Alex » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:57 am

Chrystal wrote:I can't let the clip be search-able via youtube. It will get taken down or ban my account. So only way I can show it is really embedding it. It would be nice not having to do that to create more awareness of the site, but it's too risky.

If it put the clips up in my site itself, I'd be quick to getting in trouble possibly. I'm not really sure if I have the right to even make screencaptures (I want to say it could fall under fair-use..but not sure...) and video's are always shaky territory. AMVs get taken down a lot on Youtube because technically it is copyrighted material. Either from the songs or they will claim the footage. Even under the umbrella of creative-commons. It depends on the company to prosecute or not. Funimation apparently is pretty serious about taking stuff like that down.
To be honest, I wouldn't bother too much with your YouTube account, unless it was something very original of yours that's related to InuYasha material, that wouldn't get you into any kind of trouble. Something like you singing the songs, or doing role-playing, cosplay, etc. with your own views, opinions and the like. That'd actually be pretty interesting to see IMO, but it'd all depend if you wanted to "broadcast yourself" that way.

Chrystal wrote:I do remember hearing something like... however many seconds of footage is okay to use, but I'm unsure of how long/if that's true.
Never heard of that myself, but I doubt that it's true. Copyrights are either very strict or very leniant; there's usually no "in-between" stuff.

Chrystal wrote:I could do it until I got a cease and desist notice, but since I'd like to try to avoid that as much as possible, Forum seems like the best bet. Viewable only if you're registered seems the best to me. I'd doubt any reps from Viz would register just to look at the forum. They prob go through sites though. I'd make the whole forum unsearchable as well.
To be honest, I think the forum's definately the best bet as well, but I would also try to keep them on your site as well. In all honesty, I doubt any official representatives go out of their way and do searches for fan sites who do that sort of thing. Sure, maybe if they come across it by chance, but in retrospect, you're really just talking about odds in that case. And you do have a slight disclaimer. I'd just try to add to it and be a bit more specific, descriptive and detailed with that. Disclaimers can be an easy way to say "hey, I know it's not my all necessarily my work, so here's who it belongs to". That really makes things a lot easier 90% of the time, unless people want to be complete asses about it and make a big thing of it. And to be quite frank, although the scenes are random snippets of InuYasha clips, it's really YOUR work in actuality. You aren't redistributing the actual episodes and dialogue, you're making an AMV, which is just for entertainment purposes. So you can always add that, too.
"Always be yourself, because the people that matter don't mind; and the people that mind don't matter."
Alex

Postby Chrystal » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:26 am

Alex wrote:To be honest, I wouldn't bother too much with your YouTube account, unless it was something very original of yours that's related to InuYasha material, that wouldn't get you into any kind of trouble. Something like you singing the songs, or doing role-playing, cosplay, etc. with your own views, opinions and the like. That'd actually be pretty interesting to see IMO, but it'd all depend if you wanted to "broadcast yourself" that way.

To be honest, I think the forum's definately the best bet as well, but I would also try to keep them on your site as well. In all honesty, I doubt any official representatives go out of their way and do searches for fan sites who do that sort of thing. Sure, maybe if they come across it by chance, but in retrospect, you're really just talking about odds in that case. And you do have a slight disclaimer. I'd just try to add to it and be a bit more specific, descriptive and detailed with that. Disclaimers can be an easy way to say "hey, I know it's not my all necessarily my work, so here's who it belongs to". That really makes things a lot easier 90% of the time, unless people want to be complete asses about it and make a big thing of it. And to be quite frank, although the scenes are random snippets of InuYasha clips, it's really YOUR work in actuality. You aren't redistributing the actual episodes and dialogue, you're making an AMV, which is just for entertainment purposes. So you can always add that, too.

Mm perhaps. The animation and their voices aren't my work, and that's where copyright issues are. I'm just copying it for 30 secs or so unedited, which I have no right to do that. At least with AMV's your taking "creativity" into how its edited. Which creates something new.

In my program you get harped about copyright junk for anything that you do, so that's why I'm a bit ehhhhh about it. However things like that talked about in our projects are used for commercial things. It's not like I get any money from the site with any of the IY things on it.

I could feature them until I get contacted about it I suppose...The only thing I worry about if it would have any negative repercussions against the site. That's really all I care about. Youtube account could poof.

If I just left the videos on youtube, I suppose the site shouldn't be bothered in anyway.
ですですです
Chrystal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Alex » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:23 am

Chrystal wrote:Mm perhaps. The animation and their voices aren't my work, and that's where copyright issues are. I'm just copying it for 30 secs or so unedited, which I have no right to do that. At least with AMV's your taking "creativity" into how its edited. Which creates something new.

In my program you get harped about copyright junk for anything that you do, so that's why I'm a bit ehhhhh about it. However things like that talked about in our projects are used for commercial things. It's not like I get any money from the site with any of the IY things on it.

I could feature them until I get contacted about it I suppose...The only thing I worry about if it would have any negative repercussions against the site. That's really all I care about. Youtube account could poof.

If I just left the videos on youtube, I suppose the site shouldn't be bothered in anyway.

It's your call in the end of course, but I just doubt anyone would take that much effort into bad-mouthing your site, and otherwise make a big deal out of it. And by technical means, disclaimers really are a legal way to ensure you don't get into trouble. No one can sue you as long as you've stated somewhere that it's not your work. That's how infrigement really works. Only by claiming it's all yours when it isn't. It's really why I've made a big stink about disclaimers on my own site. (Especially in the footer, which I've never done before up until recently).

This has somewhat helped me understand more specifically about plagiarism and about how it relates to disclaimers; I think it's pretty spot-on from the way I view it: [ Link ]
Alex

Postby Chrystal » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:58 am

Alex wrote:It's your call in the end of course, but I just doubt anyone would take that much effort into bad-mouthing your site, and otherwise make a big deal out of it. And by technical means, disclaimers really are a legal way to ensure you don't get into trouble. No one can sue you as long as you've stated somewhere that it's not your work. That's how infrigement really works. Only by claiming it's all yours when it isn't. It's really why I've made a big stink about disclaimers on my own site. (Especially in the footer, which I've never done before up until recently).

This has somewhat helped me understand more specifically about plagiarism and about how it relates to disclaimers; I think it's pretty spot-on from the way I view it: [ Link ]

It's more about being prosecuted by the copyright holders then anything else and entangling the site into removing things. Though like I was mentioning, in hopes of it being directly linked into Youtube account, only that should be effected.

They are what makes video's get taken down a lot (either footage or music). Though, I see it as free advertisement for the anime, but people are supposed to be paid per instance of it's use.

I'll take example of one of my art teachers. She makes illustrations that's been featured in newspapers and magazines. She owns the copyright to them, and only because the newspapers/magazine pay her for that "single" use of her work, are were allowed to use it. They paid her for it, so they were allowed to.

One of the newspapers re-used her image again without her consent, which means not being paid for her work as it was said in the contract she made with them. She had to contact them to get rightfully paid for. It's not a fun thing to do, but when you make a living off just drawing, it's hard as it is making a steady income.

I'm not paying anyone to use or show clips which would be featured unedited.

So, even with a disclaimer I technically don't have the right to do it. Least with AMV's you're remixing the footage which makes it an original/creative work and that's fine. But unedited, not so fine.
ですですです
Chrystal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Alex » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:10 am

Chrystal wrote:Least with AMV's you're remixing the footage which makes it an original/creative work and that's fine. But unedited, not so fine.

Yes, edited is fine in my views. I don't really see how an AMV can be an AMV with dialogue in it anyways (or even when people put subtitles or whatnot in them—I find that personally annoying). To me, AMVs are supposed to be just clips and snippets of action scenes that portray an emotion, dilemma, or story to the song you've incorporated it with. There isn't supposed to be anything else in it.

Also, what you could try doing to make it further your own and unique I guess would be these two things:

1. Adding graphic effects (more like visually-noticable altering changes to the way the footage is shown; not just blending effects between scenes)
  2. Personally sing a song you like from a specific artist and upload it onto the AMV

I think maybe just doing anything you can to further incorporate that it's not just repeated footage of something that's already up (not that I'm saying your past AMVs are). Just giving out ideas so that they have very little at what to nit-pick at. lol
Alex

Postby Chrystal » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:33 am

Alex wrote:Yes, edited is fine in my views. I don't really see how an AMV can be an AMV with dialogue in it anyways (or even when people put subtitles or whatnot in them—I find that personally annoying). To me, AMVs are supposed to be just clips and snippets of action scenes that portray an emotion, dilemma, or story to the song you've incorporated it with. There isn't supposed to be anything else in it.

Also, what you could try doing to make it further your own and unique I guess would be these two things:

1. Adding graphic effects (more like visually-noticable altering changes to the way the footage is shown; not just blending effects between scenes)
  2. Personally sing a song you like from a specific artist and upload it onto the AMV

I think maybe just doing anything you can to further incorporate that it's not just repeated footage of something that's already up (not that I'm saying your past AMVs are). Just giving out ideas so that they have very little at what to nit-pick at. lol

Like I mentioned in the other post, It's not AMVs I'm concerned about or removing. It's featuring short clips. Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQzqZvu8F4U
ですですです
Chrystal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Random