Four Letters

School is a four letter word.

Four Letters

Postby Gina » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:13 am

My semester begins tomorrow. Needless to say, I'm nervous. While this isn't the first semester of nursing grad school for me since I started in the summer, it sort of feels that way because I'll have four classes instead of two, and I'll be starting clincials. (Clinicals are sort of like externships for nursing students, you get assigned to a hospital and are supervised as you assist patients). I still feel unprepared, and I wonder if this feeling is ever going to go away.
Lend me your wings, bird. I'll spread them and fly on the thermals
Gina
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Four Letters

Postby Alex » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:30 am

Awe, I'm sure you'll be just fine, Gina. You're incredibly intellectual, so I'm sure you'll do very well. Just set enough time aside for studying and prioritizing, and you'll go far! It's no doubt probably a stressful kind of job at times, but as long as you enjoy doing it and learning more and more about it as you go on, the nervousness should subside in no time at all. =]

On a different note: why do you feel underprepared? Is there any specific reason or is it just the nerves?
"Always be yourself, because the people that matter don't mind; and the people that mind don't matter."
Alex

Postby Chrystal » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:11 am

You can do it lova. I have faith you shall do just fine. You're the smartest dead deer I know <7

Once you get started and get a feel for it, I'm sure you'll get to feeling betters.
ですですです
http://vgcats.com
Chrystal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Gina » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:24 am

Alex wrote:Awe, I'm sure you'll be just fine, Gina. You're incredibly intellectual, so I'm sure you'll do very well. Just set enough time aside for studying and prioritizing, and you'll go far! It's no doubt probably a stressful kind of job at times, but as long as you enjoy doing it and learning more and more about it as you go on, the nervousness should subside in no time at all. =]

On a different note: why do you feel underprepared? Is there any specific reason or is it just the nerves?

Well, it's an accelerated nursing program for people with bachelor's degrees in other areas. It's a lot of information in a short period of time, and they short of just throw you into clinicals and say "you'll figure it out as you go". Being as peoples' lives are in my hands, I feel like I need more than two and a half months of classes and information before I start declaring myself a well prepared health care provider. Don't get me wrong, there will always be someone looking over my shoulder or at least someone I can ask, so if I'm responsible nothing bad should happen... it's just a different situation than I've ever been in, so I have no past experience to look upon and derive confidence from. That being said, I'm sure I'm overreacting once again, but maybe you can understand my anxiety a little better.

Anyway, thanks for the support.
Gina
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Gina » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:28 am

Chrystal wrote:You can do it lova. I have faith you shall do just fine. You're the smartest dead deer I know <7

Once you get started and get a feel for it, I'm sure you'll get to feeling betters.

Yes I'm sure you're right. I always feel like this before I start anything new. But the what-if feeling of "what if I'm not good enough?" remains. We'll see how the first week goes. Worst case scenario is I'm terrible at everything, discover I shouldn't be nurse, and work at a nonprofit as a family case worker for 10 $/hr. Or a delivery driver. Lol.
Gina
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chrystal » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:39 am

Gina wrote:
Yes I'm sure you're right. I always feel like this before I start anything new. But the what-if feeling of "what if I'm not good enough?" remains. We'll see how the first week goes. Worst case scenario is I'm terrible at everything, discover I shouldn't be nurse, and work at a nonprofit as a family case worker for 10 $/hr. Or a delivery driver. Lol.

Lol, well I certainly feel the same in that I have no hopes of finding a decent job dealing with graphic design. I could be a waitress forever. And ever. And ever.

I've managed to almost get a degree, which is the first step and that certainly was hard starting out. Never been to a different town before and what not. But if you have the "will of fire" (oh yes, another naruto reference) you can do it. BELIEVE IT.
ですですです
http://vgcats.com
Chrystal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Alex » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:37 pm

Gina wrote:...maybe you can understand my anxiety a little better.

Oh yes, that's completely understandable. I know exactly what you mean. Is there someone who's above you in rank (maybe the person who's watching you over your shoulder?) who can help with any questions/concerns you might have? If they're friendly enough and if he/she can offer some advice when you have questions, perhaps a sort of friendship may also form where you feel like you can go to them for anything, and not feel so overwhelmed.

Gina wrote:Worst case scenario is I'm terrible at everything, discover I shouldn't be nurse, and work at a nonprofit as a family case worker for 10 $/hr.

Is a family case worker like a social services person? Not sure what that's like, but $10.00/hr doesn't seem all that bad at all. *shrug*
"Always be yourself, because the people that matter don't mind; and the people that mind don't matter."
Alex

Return to School